Saturday, August 6

Calm Before the Storm

SOLD
During our last Sunderland visit, we saw these three little sisters with a yellow ball, happily giggling as they headed for the breakers. It was a heart-warming scene that was quickly marred by the mother or guardian who screeched abuse as she dragged the tearful oldest girl back for not holding the younger girl's hand and sticking together. Now, does she not look in control? Do they look to you as if they are not together?

We could only look on in embarrassment at the verbal onslaught... and at the only one out of control and not able to hold it together.

The heart weeps when the innocents are cruelly dealt with.

7 comments:

Pam Holnback said...

Beautiful reflections.

Ken Devine said...

Hi Pam
As it happens it was the reflection that originally caught my attention. The girls were part of a much larger and busier scene, so I cropped and used artistic licence to isolate them as I was anxious not to be seen to single out the girls at the time...you have to be so careful these days. Originally, there was a group of adults by the breakers to the left and two boys in front of the girls about mid-way.

Ken Devine said...

Hi Karen
Thank you for following what I'm up to here. I hope there is something to take your interest in the coming weeks when I get into a more regular pattern of painting.

Randi said...

I came back to share this painting and story with my husband and I realized that when I looked at the painting yesterday, I failed to notice the title. I can only pray that the screaming was a rare event and that the little girls normally have a much happier existence.

Ken Devine said...

Hi Randi
A person who screeches in public is likely to be the same or worse in private. The most optimistic view would be that the recipients are largely immune to such rantings and that they have lots of happy experiences.

Anonymous said...

Love this painting Ken, the reflections are marvellous. I really think that you captured the moment. Was tempted to buy this one myself but someone beat me to it...

Ken Devine said...

Hi Anon
It seems to be a very popular subject. Perhaps I ought to paint a few more beach scenes to include people:)

Paris in Pink

Paris in Pink 6x6 inches. Oil on Board. I painted this scene in 2012 entitled Impressions of Paris but it came out very dull. I&...